From historical sources we learn, that Sonberk was planted with vine already in the XIII. century and thanks to its ideal location and Southern exposition the vineyard had born well known wine.
In the XVI. century the wine from the foot of the so-called Sunny Hill has gained such a good quality and reputation, that it had been requested by His Majesty the Bohemian King Ludvík Jagellonský (Louis II. of Hungary) to be supplied to the Prague Castle.
There is a written record from the year 1522 in which the Bohemian king addresses the city council in Brno and requests for himself and his wife that „six drylinks of good wine for drinking“ shall be delivered on the second day of August 1522 through his chamberlain.
The tradition of the ancient vineyard giving royal wines was re-established by founding the Sonberk winery in 2003.
In May 2008 the new winery house designed by Josef Pleskot (AP Atelier, Prague) went into life.